Wednesday, September 8, 2010


OK, so I feel great today! The cold sweats are over and the bone pain, from my neulasta injection, has subsided. Just a few of the perks of chemo...not. I'm back baby! I have so much to do. I need to go to the grocery STAT! Mom is coming over today and I can't wait to be productive!!! Start turning the sagging skin on my legs into lean muscle! So, you're probably wondering whats up with these picutures...top right is the hairdo I am going for when it all grows back. I am so excited for a cute little messy haircut. I think if it grows fast enough, I will put some fun colors in it by Christmas, I am hoping. Maybe do dark brown with some crazy burgundy/pink chunks. I just hope I dont grow an afro because then this look may be a little tricky. haha. Btw, hair is falling out again, but I am not shaving it off since I am almost done. I may end up changing my mind though, since I have rubbed a bald spot on the back of my head, like a newborn. The result of re-growth from this just might be a little too "Joe Dirt" for me. Don't get me wrong, I did appreciate a good mullet in the 80's. But not so much these days.

The picture on the left, funny story. When I went to chemo last week, they had donation wigs and hats. So I selfishly took one of each. Actually, not selfishly...it was for Paul. So, I had the wig hanging on my IV pole, and it is quite large (the picture doesnt show how big and puffy it really is). I had been telling all the nurses why I needed it, we'll get to that. And in comes Dr. M, my Oncologist. I absolutely love that man, let me describe him for you; he is young, was an internal med physician, had a change of heart and went into oncology....why, i will never understand, I couldn't think of a more miserable job. Anyhoo, he has passion for what he is doing, is brilliant, genuine, and I (obviously) trust him with my life. He is also a man with deep faith, which I find comforting. He is quite serious though, and for some reason I like to joke around and try to get him to crack. I've gotten a few good "is this chick for real?" stares, and have also seen him try to keep composure and stifle a smile, possible laugh as well. Which, of course, makes me sooo proud of myself. So, he walks over to check on me, which he doesn't have to do, he is busy with patients on the office side. As he is speaking to me I notice him quickly glancing at my wig out of the corner of his eye a few times. Bingo! I am going for it! I say, "Do you like my new wig?" He looks at the wig as if it were a dead animal hanging there and politely states "yes," and is quick to resume medical talk. I break in and say, "Don't worry, it's not for public use." He looks at me, perplexed, as I state in a loud whisper, "It's for the bedroom!" At the same time, Jill is reaching over and covering my mouth with her hand. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Ohhhhh, I tickle myself! I don't know why I find it so amusing, but I just love to shock him!

Then, as the morning progresses, one of the nurses is hooking up another guy, looking out the window, and has a horrified look on her face. She's saying,"Oh no, no, no. Don't go on the sidewalk." Jill and I get up and look out, laughing hysterically, as some lady is driving at 2mph, up onto the sidewalk, over the landscaping, and into the parking lot. She parks, backs up, and proceeds to exit the exact same way. We are always laughing at chemo.

But then, something not so funny happens. I meet a fellow patient, I will call Joe. We talked a bit. Then Jill got up to do something and Joe asks me a question, "Janet," he says rather loudly, "is that your daughter?" WHAT???? I feel as if I had been zapped with a stun gun. Excuse me??? Did this chode really just ask me if my older sister is my daughter???? He can't be serious! But I look at him, he has genuine interest in his eyes. I wanted to say, "Ya know what Joe, #@%#! you!" UNBELIEVABLE! My gosh, do I really look that bad? I had to laugh though, and tell him nicely that she was actually my sister. He looked shocked, as did I. I had liked Joe until then. I hope I never see him again. lol.

I know I talk alot, so I will sign off. Lastly, on a serious note, I want to thank Dr. M! When I went to the hospital last week, he happened to be the doc on call. He went WAY above and beyond. The ER nurse told me they had seen 8,100 patients in the month of July. It is ridiculous, the patient load that physicians handle. And although I don't recall much else, thanks to IV morphine, compazine, fentanyl, & versed (gooood stuff), I know that Dr. M came in to evaluate me, when the ER doc was there & capable. AND, he stayed there with me for quite a long time until my testing was done. In fact he was in the CT room looking at the scan, which I only know thanks to the CT tech. He was very concerned for me, talked with us multiple times. I knew he had left some personal outing he was at to come there, and I felt very guilty pulling him away from the little bit of free time he has, because it was by his choice. He didn't have to be there. He could have, should have, been home with his wife & kids. I know they can't do that for everyone, I feel so blessed to have this man caring for me. I honestly feel that it wasn't coincidence that brought him to me and my family. So, thanks God!!! You picked the best doc in the world! (maybe I should stop trying to get a rise out of him. Naaaa, too easy, too fun! haha)

8 comments:

  1. Mullet, 80's ,...... I don't know what you're talking about..... okay yeah I do.

    Bless Dr. M, cool cat.

    Great posts. Thanks girl for being such a gift!!!
    Peace to you and your amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok blond hair...adorable. I know what the long brown hairs for! So glad your better! Luv ya sista!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gorgeous no matter what hair style you have!!! Your blogs are so amazing. I admire you so much........what an amazing woman you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to have worked with you. you are truely an inspiration. Your blogs are the best. You make me laugh and cry. I love your attitude and your smile shines through! I pray for you and your cure. I know you will beat this. Your spirit is too strong for this! Lots of Love and Prayers are always coming your way!
    Liz Obringer

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are totally insane & I love it. This last round of Chemo I AM NOT going down the CYBIL road with you, just so ya know, sista! THAT wig is awful btw....and we ALL know what it's for. Poor Paul. And Poor Doc Markey-Mark....he must pray so hard for you. haha. And if i haven't told you lately: you are the BEST MOM in the world. Hey, everyone: this lady drove 2 & 1/2 hours to grab her son from college (for a 48 hr visit)...what a trooper! I love you, Wonder Woman. Love, Your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Janet. It's Casey Sutton. I saw your post through Janet's facebook. I must tell you what an inspiring writer and person you are. I have to go put new makeup on before I can go anywhere after reading your blogs. I know we didn't really knoe each other real well, but I felt compelled to write to you. Great that you are feeling good and I will pray for your speedy recovery. Right now, at this very moment, I have been awakened to appreciate the life and family that I have been given...thanks for helping me to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wish I was there to see Dr. M's face :)!!!!!! That is sooo great :) Love, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you Janet--you are amazing...and simply hilarious. I can so see you saying and doing everything you talk about in here lol! You should probably wear that wig to your next appointment with Dr. M! Reading this makes me miss you and the family alot! Tell everyone I said Hi, and hope to see you all soon! Love you!

    Lindsey Comer

    ReplyDelete